Despite no single cause of acne being established, science and research has shown that there are a few things we can do to reduce breakouts and enjoy clean, clear skin and avoid acne scars.
Here’s just five ways you can avoid acne scars and stay fresh-faced!
- Clean your skin. – Daily face washing is the key to removing oils and preventing breakouts. Our environment is full of toxins and chemicals that seep into the surface layer of our skin. By using a facial wash that resonates with your skin type, you are effectively cleansing your pores and preventing acne. Wash your face once in the morning and once in the evening with a skin cleanser suited to your skin type.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! – Some acne products remove moisture from the skin. Choose a moisturizer that won’t clog the pores and cause acne, so opt for one with the word “noncomedogenic” on the ingredient list for the best results.
- Avoid makeup altogether – If you’re experiencing an acne breakout or repeated breakouts, you might want to look closely at your makeup bag. For those who wear makeup regardless, be consistent about using a makeup remove along with your daily face wash. Opt for oil-free cosmetics free of dye and chemicals for the best results.
- Use over-the-counter acne relievers – Most OTC acne products have either glycolic acid or salicylic acid, which reduces bacteria growth but dries out your skin. If you have sensitive skin, be sure and look for the mildest products available.
- Wash your hair daily – The hair on our head has a direct impact on acne. If the oils and fragrances rub off on your face, they can block your pores and create breakouts. Wash your hair daily if you have oily skin and hair.
Enjoy beautiful skin and avoid acne scars by following these tips!